Image Map

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Muffins with Mom

Beck took an early afternoon nap today, so he was up during my normal dinner prep time. Not that he was having a bad day, but he was having a not-really-into-occupying-himself kind of day. He took up permanent residence in the kitchen, completely ignoring Barney and his blocks, becoming my shadow as I moved about the kitchen. Thus, dinner prep suddenly turned into a how can I successfully incorporate my toddler into my baking tasks?

I tried avoidance at first, ignoring the fact that he was really underfoot. I might have also tried a piece or two of candy corn to distract him while I rummaged through the pantry for ingredients. After making a batch of vegetable barley soup with the wee one entangled in my legs and begging for more candy corn from the jar on the window ledge, I decided it was going to be all but impossible to whip up a batch of chocolate chip pumpkin muffins with that nagging sensation {literally} clinging to my lower limbs.

So, I decided that Beck was just going to have to bake with me. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, that he could successfully handle a wooden spoon, and decided to make lemonade out of lemons. Er, muffins out of madness. I pulled a chair up to the sink, stood him on it right next to the counter, and buddy, we were in business.

He watched patiently while I added in pumpkin puree and cracked eggs and added cups of sugar. He pointed inquisitively at the batter, babbling about whatever it was I was doing. Then I handed him the spoon and let him mix.

And, guess what?

He loved it. Even following directions successfully. Not adding ingredients to the appropriate measurement, of course, but not sticking his fingers into the bowl though he desperately wanted to. He kept repeating mii mii, explaining that he was mixing. My socks were charmed right off by his cuteness.

So, together, we made muffins. And it was fun. He eventually managed to stick those tiny fingers into the batter, but he was so well behaved, I didn't mind. Plus, who can bake without tasting the batter anyway?


It also reminded me that my baby is getting too big. Crazy big. Big enough to make muffins with his mamma. Sigh...


PS. Go visit my friend Brit to participate in her fun blogiversary giveaway!


6 comments:

Lea Liz said...

Thoe re the cutest pictures ever. He looks so sweet and like such a big boy helping his momma make muffins. How sweet. I can't wait until Brody can help me:)

Now I am wanting pumpkin muffins and I've never even had them!

Unknown said...

Seriously?? That is way to cute. That post made me smile. Such a big baby boy!

Gina said...

Logan LOVES to cook with me. Wait till he learns how to smash the eggs. It is great fun picking those eggshells out. ;)

Nat said...

Could Becks be any cuter helping you cook!?!
I can't believe he's getting so big!

Sarah Chang said...

Oh my goodness! So cute! Love it.

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

Hi Abby,

Just popping by (again) to tell you I really enjoy your blog and would like to present you with a “One Lovely Blog” award. I checked out your blog and don’t think you have received it yet.

Visit me at www.thestrollerballet.com to pick up your award! Hope you are having a great Friday!

Sarah