Image Map

Monday, April 18, 2011

A Momentous Day...

First of all, I want you to imagine the feeling that you had when you were about seven and it was Christmas Eve and you were twelve kinds of excited about Santa Claus coming the next day. Now, add to that the excitement of meeting your firstborn child, the day you found out the New Kids on the Block tour was coming to your town, and multiply it by how you feel on double coupon day at Kroger.

And now you know how I felt all day at school anticipating coming home to a fully functional kitchen.  It just about killed me that B and Becks were at home to witness it all.  While my kididdles were taking a potty break, I may have snuck away to the lounge to call and check in on the progress. 

But...before I show you the *new* pictures, let's revisit the kitchen in her 1970s glory.  This pic was taken when I wrote THIS post about our vision to remodel her in 2009.  Well, only two or so years later isn't that bad, right?


Also interesting =  my attempt to disguise and embrace this bare wall with this little collection...
{Please note that linoleum.  I just gagged a little thinking about it.  However, if you'd like a relic, I'm sure I could salvage you a scrap from the pile hanging out by the garage.  Lemme know.}

And now DA DA DA....
I'm pretty sure we quadrupled the counterspace and tripled the cabinet/drawer space.  I am in love.  I am thinking I might roll out a sleeping bag in there on the floor tonight. 

Now, I do have to let you know that there are still some minor things to take care of - like replacing outlet covers and switches, patching, touch-up painting, hanging wooden blinds, and laying a few more feet of toe strip.  And then there's the lighting. We cannot find anything we like.  So we're holding out and just plugging in lamps for right now. 

And of course the decorating.  I staged it a little for the pictures, but can't wait to hit up Homegoods and Target ASAP! 

Also, in case you wondered how I knew what kind of sink I wanted {because I'm sure pressing issues like that just plague your thoughts at night}, my only qualification was that it had to be big enough to bathe a baby in.  Because, sadly enough, I never bathed Becks in the old sink because it a) didn't hold water and b) was kinda scuzzy.  So, tonight I made up for lost time and inagurated the sink with a bath for my baby!

 
And then I loaded the dishwasher and did a little dance around the house.  I also kissed B about 25 times and told him how proud I was of all his hard work. 

Happy, happy Monday!

32 comments:

Biz said...

Oh. My. Gawd.

It's gorgeous. Just..gorgeous.

Enjoy it lady, you all deserve it!

Shannon said...

She's a beaut. A baby-bathin', dish-washin' beaut. All that crisp white and stainless and the drawer pulls...gorgeous stuff. Oh and I love your fruit bowl too. I notice things like that because I'm in the market for one...like yours. Conrgatulations Abby, what a big day!

Alicia Lochridge said...

Love it! So modern and beautiful. Enjoy. The kitchen is the heart of a home.

First Grade Factory

Ashlee said...

Happy happy monday to you too :)

Your kitchen is so beautiful - congrats!

Jamie said...

I LOVE it!

White cabinets are my fave and I love that wall color :)

MrsKinne said...

It looks fabulous! Enjoy. :)

Sarah said...

I signed on tonight just to see if you posted about your kitchen! haha! It's SOOOO beautiful!!! Enjoy every second of it! It's wonderful!
-Sarah
http://mrstfirstgrade.blogspot.com/

Gladys said...

Love it!

Jessica said...

Holy gorgeous kitchen!!! I LOVE it! And what I love even more, is that adorable boy in your kitchen sink! :)

Jeanne said...

I kept checking tonight to see if you had your new countertops! The kitchen is gorgeous. Enjoy!!!!

Sneaker Teacher said...

I remember getting our new kitchen...what a great feeling! We were living out of a mini fridge with only a microwave for a LONG time and it was so nice to eat real food again. Your kitchen looks great!! Enjoy :0)

Conchy said...

Beautiful, gorgeous, magazine editorial deserving... It was worth all the waiting. And I feel like proud grandma for all of you!

Good Job! Enjoy!!! Salud, amor y pesetas! Spanish blessing: health, love and money for you and your kitchen!

Conchy

Witty Whit said...

The kitchen looks fabulous!!!!

Jodi said...

It looks A-MA-ZING!!!!

Jodi
Fun In First

Lea Liz said...

Yay!!! Your kitchen is beautiful!!! Looks awesome!!! I know the feeling, I felt the same way when we redid our kitchen. I love that you gave Becks a bath in the sink :) love it!

Shubs said...

It's JUST as beautiful as I imagined it would be. SO SO SO SO happy for you guys :) Can't wait to see what fun accessories you add to it! xoxo.

the nichols' family said...

The kitchen looks great!!! :)

Jennie said...

Looks amazing!!! You all did a great job! And Becks looks super happy to be bathing in the sink!

AbbyS. said...

Looks Great Abby! B deserves lots of kisses! Looks 1000% better!! I would totally be hanging out in there all the time.

According to Ashley said...

WOO HOO!

Miss Chelsea said...

Looks soooo good! Congrats, and tell your hubster good work haha!

Tanya Solano said...

Fan. Tas. Tick!!!! I'm sure that first cup of coffee was just delightful! Happy for you and LoVe that picture of Becks! He's simply fabulous!

michelle said...

It looks awesome, Abby!

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen is all kinds of GORGEOUS!! I bet you're glad it's finally done! No more doing dishes in the tub AND Becks is bathing in the sink. Too funny! Congrats!

Brittany said...

Beautiful!!!

Jill said...

Your new kitchen is GORGEOUS!! I love how clean and crisp it looks with the white and slate grey! Beautiful! :) Congratulations, I know you're pumped!

jennifer said...

That baby boy in the sink is the best part!! Congrats. Not that you asked, but here are a few sites I love with lighting that's a little bit different.
http://www.westelm.com/shop/lighting/?cm_type=gnav

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/lighting/

http://www.barnlightelectric.com/

http://www.shadesoflight.com/

Abby said...

Thanks for your sweet comments, BFFs! I love it!

Gina said...

Just how loud did you scream when you walked in the door? My kitchen is a s-l-o-w work in progress. I desperately need new cabinets and countertops. And floor. And oven hood. Sigh.

Erica said...

So happy for you! I completely understand your excitement too, btw. :) And that post back to Beck's when he was LITTLE with the puffs on his face?! So cute!

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!! I love that you had an inaugural bath!! :)

Miss Kindergarten said...

It turned out amazing!!! love it!