Image Map

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Goodwill Hunting: Thrifty Finds

Goodwill Hunting = Posts pertaining to my adventures in thrifting.

In something very un-BabblingAbby like, I bought 4 pairs of brand new shoes on Target.com last night. I know, I can't even believe I did it. But, in my defense, they were buy one get one 50% off, I've been on the hunt for non-Ugg boots, and pre-worn shoes kinda skeeve me out in a toe fungus kind of way. I'm certainly not opposed to wearing thrifted shoes if the proper conditions are met (i.e. barely worn, no toe fungus), but haven't found any worthy of purchase before. {FYI: I bought two pairs of boots and two pairs of flats - with skinny jeans and fall weather in mind.}

Which brings me to tonight. Chels, Sophie, and I decided to hit up our fav Goodwheel (as Soph calls it) with little more than pocket change to spare. Literally.
I brought my camera for photographic proof of our adventures because it is totally normal for people to take pictures outside and inside of a thrift store, no?
I turned the camera over to my fav niece for this pic, and I think she did a rather stellar job. As evidenced by the pics, after school, it's all about ponytails and leggings for me.
We snatched up some Polos for B, though I only ended up getting the blue striped one. Becks, too, wears a lot of RL Polo and it's all thrifted - either from Goodwill, yard sales, or St. Vinny's. I love their classic appeal and their durability. And don't you think I spend more than a buck or so on each because I refuse. That way, when he muds it all up playing in the mulch or sand or whatever I don't have to rip it off of him or distinguish between nice clothes and play clothes. Anyway.Then I told Soph I wanted some red shoes, so she helped me look through the racks of toe fungus and pulled out every pair of red shoes she could find. All were a definite no. And then, the Heavens parted and shined a glorious stream of light onto these babies and I let out an enormous STOP.THE.WORLD.

Are those slouchy, brown, brand new cowboyish boots IN MY SIZE?!


Um, yes. Yes, they are.


Oddly enough, they are from Target! I die.


And, get this: THEY WERE $10. Let me repeat: STOP.THE.WORLD.
I was content to leave after that, but continued to peruse the aisles to no avail. Well, I did buy three new breakfast bowls because, I kid you not, our's have disappeared into oblivion. Or the garbage. Who knows.

So, after Chels dropped $5.35 in change...

And Sophie dropped to the floor in a pouty fit over us not buying her a pink Beanie Baby flamingo...
We posed with our wares...

And our thrifty adventure was over for the day. Success.

{I've had a lot of questions/comments pertaining to Goodwilling, so I'll do a how-to post sometime in the future! TGIF!}

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to the Goodwilling post you have no idea. Love polo wearing boys!

Unknown said...

which goodwill do you go to? I have been wanting to go. Is the one off Dream Street any good? Also, where is St. Vinny's because I have heard great things!

Katie said...

Haha! I love this and you totally inspired me to go Goodwilling this weekend! I have those boots from Target and L.O.V.E. them!!

Ashley said...

i love this post! i have just recently begun to look for apparel during my thrifting adventures but can't get myself to look at shoes for the very same reason as you. but those cowboy boots are awesome! and how funny is it that last night i ordered a pair of black boots and a pair of yellow flats on target.com too?! hooray for sales, cute shoes and even cuter teacher friends! :)

Ashley said...

oh and can you tell me what you do to get that dreadful thrift store stinch out of your clothing? granted i have the nose of a canine and smells get to me more than most, but i just can't get over that stinch! i tried washing, rewashing, febreezing, airing in the fresh out outside and washing again- but i still smell it! any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I love that you took pictures! Adorable boots! Looks like a fun time :)

According to Ashley said...

WOWIE!! Love the boots! :) You're my hero!

Jamie said...

You always find the cutest things! I love those boots :)

Miss Chelsea said...

We Goodwill'ed last night (looking for halloween costume components mostly) but Chris found a golf shirt thats typically like $50 for $3.99!! woohoo

Anonymous said...

Numero Uno: If you give away our thrifting spots I will hurt you severely.
Numero Dos: That girl with the brown hair is super good looking.
Numero Tres: Post this as a warning to others that we do not share out thrifting secrets they can hunt the same way we do...

Lauren said...

That's it! You must take me to Goodwill! Miss you!

Jenny said...

I can't believe you found all of that at Goodwill!! What a great steal!

Anonymous said...

I pretty much dislike you A LOT right now ;) I've been searching for quite a while for some cowboy boots at our thrift stores and still no luck! :( Enjoy yours while i mourn here with jealousy! ha ha

Shannon said...

I have GOT to find a new goodwill. Preferably one that comes up with the goodies like yours. I want a how-to! Do you ever NOT find something, like walk out empty handed?