Image Map

Friday, January 2, 2009

A random thought to avoid lesson planning

Do you have a uniform? You know, the one outfit in your wardrobe that you wear, like, all the time? Like you can't clean it fast enough so that you can repeat its use every day?

I, obviously, do. For me, it's black lycra, bootcut workout pants, a white tanktop (or black depending on what's clean), and a white maternity hoodie. Yes, you read that right: maternity. I just heart this hoodie so much because it is long enough to disguise the area around my midsection that is a wee bit stretched out from bearing a child for nine months. I make no apologies. I wish they made all tops longer. There is nothing worse than a top that rides up, exposing your midsection. Way too 90210 for me. I digress.

I can be seen in this outfit e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. Lounging around the house, running errands, meeting friends for coffee, etc. It's perfect because it's cute and comfortable and still permits me to nurse with ease no matter where I may be. This is crucial to an outfit being successful in my book. Buttons are too complicated, nursing tops are terribly unfashionable, and turtlenecks are too turtle-y. And dresses certainly don't lend themselves to feeding Baby B unless I want to completely undress, in which case I would likely be thrown out of Starbucks for indecent exposure.

And you don't have to be a mom to where a uniform either. In college I totally rocked out the sweatpants and sorority tees for four straight years. I was at a complete loss when it suddenly became weird to be seen in a top advertising a formal from SIX YEARS AGO. Sigh. I'm getting old.

So tell me, and let's be honest - how many of you can relate - mom or not?

6 comments:

growingupartists said...

My uniform is a polo shirt and khaki pants. Well, I've traded in the khakis for boot cut jeans lately.

I know, not very creative. And I can't live without my leather boots.

Anonymous said...

Brooke hates the "new" styles of shirts because all of the cute things are too short. She refuses to show her belly. Designers need to realize that there are girls over 5' 11' out there and make shirts longer! REVOLT AND WEAR THAT HOODIE!

Mommy Webb said...

I can SOOOO relate. I wear my black yoga pants with a stretchy tank that can be pulled down so that it still covers my tummy and a fleece pull-over. I agree that shirts today are way too short. And that seperates are a must for nursing mamas. I bet you look hot in your hoodie:)!

Nat said...

My uniform is identical to yours, only I don't have a maternity hoodie. I just wear a regular hoodie and my biggest problem is that my hoodie is too short in the midsection so I buy longer tank tops!
I also rocked the same college uniform as you too!

The Ossege Family said...

My uniform is any color comfy sweatsuit I can find with a tunic length shirt and my new UGG-like boots. After 3 kids, I am all about comfort!!! Don't get me wrong, I like to look stylish too, but cute, stylish things don't look so cute on a body that has created 3 beautiful babies. Plus, who cares, my husband still thinks I'm sexy & that's all that matters!

Anonymous said...

Okay so I feel like I am in the SAME outfit EVERYDAY and my cuteness factor is no more. I am still sporting my maternity jeans with the spandex shear waistband because #1 they suck my mush gut in and #2 they are comfortable. Yes Abes, I have become one of those people on What Not to Wear who wears clothes because they are comfortable. What has happened to all of us!